Sunday, February 06, 2005

Trouper Granny D

For those who follow the adventures of 95 year-old progressive activist Doris Granny D Haddock, yes, she is in a New Hampshire hospital and, yes, they did think her throat surgery last Friday would cost her the future use of her legendary voice. We visited her yesterday and today, and, though she is reduced to scribbling on a note pad to communicate, she assured us she is not through speaking out. "I will speak on Monday," one of her notes claimed. That's when the doctors will fit her with a new tracheotomy tube that will allow her a better chance to vocalize. She says she will be rid of even that device in a couple of weeks so she can get back on the trail to support political reforms around the U.S.
"She's just amazing!" one of the nurses told us in the hall. We knew that.

--Dennis Burke

6 Comments:

At 7:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For Doris

Hope this surgery has all the benefits of having your tonsils out.. All the popsicles and ice cream you can eat. I know this is just a brief rest for your voice. Can't wait to hear you again.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Julie Ludwig

 
At 8:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Granny D,

This is a wish for strength and courage as you heal from the surgery. I came up from Texas to see Dennis Kucinich at the Jim Hightower Rolling Thunder Tour in Manchester more than a year ago. I met you, and have followed you ever since. You make me proud, and have empowered me to stay strong and keep at it! Please do the same. I am sending love from Texas.

Peace is inevitable,
Tomi Phillips

 
At 6:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Granny D, I'm a 52-year-old Canadian studying for the ministry, and I was doing some research to rebut ageist comments of one of my professors, when I found articles on the Internet about you. You have inspired me and encouraged me when I really needed it. I keep telling people I've got at least forty more years (probably) to serve God in, but now I have evidence - you! May God bless you mightily.

Sharon Leighton

 
At 1:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please - how is Granny D doing after her surgery? So many prayers are with her, but I cannot find any information more current than Feb. 6. I am hoping she will be walking and talking soon. She has inspired me to join the Peace Marches in the last 2 years - Thank you Doris!!

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger fran said...

Doris,
Ron, Joy & I have you always in our thoughts. You have been an inspiring part of our lives for years now.
Joy created a personal card for you and we are sending it via snail mail tomorrow.
I am seeing you with your strength and everything about you intact and feisty. You GO, Dudedette!

 
At 8:07 AM, Blogger Roberto Iza said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home